I could go on and on about why asexual people need more representation, but I’ll give you the SparkNotes version:
- Studies have consistently shown that people who read more tend to have higher levels of compassion and empathy.
- Asexual people continue to face ignorance and bullying because of their orientation.
- Asexuality is still a little-known and often misunderstood orientation.
- We currently live in a sex-obsessed culture that puts pressure on people, especially young people, to “just do it.”
- The publishing industry is attempting to diversify their products, but they need to know that these books will sell. We need to prove that there is a market for these characters.
In a nutshell, representation = normalcy, and normalcy = less bullying. And being able to see themselves in books may help asexual people who are struggling with their identities to feel better about themselves.