Aromantic Pride Flag
Don’t know what asexuality is or don’t really understand it? Want to go beyond asexuality and learn about other parts of the spectrum, such as aromanticism? Looking to get involved in the cause and do more than just post book recommendations?
Here are some resources below:
AVEN (Asexuality Visibility and Education Network) is the world’s largest asexual community.
We Need Diverse Books is an organization dedicated to diversifying the children’s book market.They have resources for finding characters of different races, cultures, religions, sexualities, etc.
The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker is an amazing book that covers just about everything you could ever want to know about asexuality.
I hope to have information on other aspects of asexuality soon, so stay tuned!
I could go on and on about why asexual people need more representation, but I’ll give you the SparkNotes version:
- Studies have consistently shown that people who read more tend to have higher levels of compassion and empathy.
- Asexual people continue to face ignorance and bullying because of their orientation.
- Asexuality is still a little-known and often misunderstood orientation.
- We currently live in a sex-obsessed culture that puts pressure on people, especially young people, to “just do it.”
- The publishing industry is attempting to diversify their products, but they need to know that these books will sell. We need to prove that there is a market for these characters.
In a nutshell, representation = normalcy, and normalcy = less bullying. And being able to see themselves in books may help asexual people who are struggling with their identities to feel better about themselves.